Payment Assistance

We understand hard times happen. If you need assistance with your home's electric bill, please review the options below.

Payment Arrangements

Members who are unable to pay their total past due balance before the day of disconnection are able to sign Payment Arrangements. Payment Arrangements are used to help the member get to a $0 balance at the end of the arrangement period. A good faith payment is required at the time the arrangement is signed and the remaining balance (both past due and current) is divided into monthly payments. Each monthly payment will be the current bill plus the payment arrangement amount and any other charges or fees.

Payment Arrangement details:
  • If the bill is paid in full while on an arrangement, the arrangement is considered fulfilled.
  • The member must be the one to sign the arrangement unless there is a power of attorney form on file.
  • If full payment is not received by the arrangement date or if payment is made with a bad check, the service is subject to immediate disconnection without further notice. The total account balance is due to stop the disconnect or to reconnect if service has been disconnected.
  • No arrangements are given for returned checks or for electrician services.

For more information on Payment Arrangements, please contact our office.


Past Due Deferral

Members having trouble paying their electric bill are able to sign up for a Past Due Deferral. The Past Due Deferral enables the member to extend the due date for the past due money until the Friday after the scheduled disconnection.

Past Due Deferral details:
  • The member must be the one to sign the deferral unless there is a power of attorney form on file.
  • If a member defaults on the Past Due Deferral, the service is subject to immediate disconnection without notice.

For more information on a Past Due Deferral, please contact our office.


Organizations that may be able to help

If you need assistance paying your electric bill, the agencies below may be able to help.

Butler County

S.E.L.F. office: 888-432-7022 or 513-868-9300
Soldiers Relief Commission: 513-887-3600 
Butler County Dept. of Job and Family Services: 513-887-4000 
Salvation Army: 513-863-1445 
St. Vincent DePaul Society: 513-738-1014 
United Way Information Referral: 513-863-0800 
Family Services in Middletown: 513-423-4637 
Human Services of Middletown: 513-425-8625 
Family Resources: 513-821-2128 ext. 109

Hamilton County

Hamilton Cty. Community Action: 513-569-1850 
Hamilton County Dept. of Human Services: 513-946-1000 
Salvation Army: 513-762-5600 
Veterans Services Commission: 513-946-3300 
Catholic Social Services: 513-241-7745 
Family Resources: 513-821-2128 ext. 109

Montgomery County

Montgomery County Dept. of Human Services: 937-225-4148 
Veterans Services Office: 937-225-4801 
Community Action of Montgomery County: 937-341-5000

Preble County

Community Action - Preble County: 937-456-6205 
Veterans Services Office: 937-456-6111 
S.C.O.P.E. of Preble County: 937-456-2800 
United Way Information Referral: 937-456-7174